Friday, June 26, 2009

Warming Up to Vince Carter

My Magic-crazy fiance just put a lot into perspective for me regarding the Vince Carter for Alston, Lee, and Battie trade.

I have been mourning the loss of Lee, a player that I thought would be a promising long-time player for the Magic.

He might have been, but listen to what the big man of my house just told me: "If Vince Carter would have been in Courtney Lee's position during Game Two of the Lakers-Magic series, he would have made that alley-oop. He would have dunked the %^*% out of it."

And you know what? He's exactly right.

There's no denying that Lee will improve next year, but as I've been saying since the end of the Magic's season, experience is crucial for the Orlando playoff run next year.

A lot of what went wrong in the late-game blown leads that the Magic endured had to do with lack of experience under pressure and lack of stamina in a stressful Finals situation. I kept saying that if we found experienced players for a good price, it was necessary to acquire them.

So I guess that's what's happening here with Vince Carter, and why I'm warming up to the whole situation. However, one question still lingers in my mind.

Does this mean we're letting go of Hedo Turkoglu? Depending on what we pay Carter (and I'm sure he's not cutting us some kind of deal), could we even afford him?

I'm a proponent of keeping Turkoglu, but maybe there is some kind of dream team in the works I can't see yet. I'm a little bit nervous about cracking apart the core that worked pretty darn well last year, but doing pretty darn well isn't good enough.

We want a championship in Orlando, and it looks like the Magic front office wants it just as bad as the fans do. We are making some drastic moves, but I'm starting to believe it's for the best.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what your saying but a deal could have been made that didn't involve Lee and that's what doesn't make sence. I would have traded Gortat & Pietrus instead of a predominant player like Lee who is evolving every time he steps on the court... And Vince couldn't of made that shot either. The pass was too far and only reason Lee missed it is because his momentum carried him out behind the backboard. The pass was just a little too far and IF Vince was the one catching it Gasol would have blocked it. Theat was an extreamly difficult shot to make. Lee had to run fast as hell, Vince doesn't have the speed anymore, and catch the ball in stride, and lay it up around Gasol, who was right at the rim behind Lee's hand. I have watched that play over and over on slow motion (got to love DVR) and I'm sorry but if he would have made that shot it would have been a Miracle. I personaly believe the only way top have made that shot was to lay it up on the other side of the basket using the rim to shield Lee from Gasol. Let Hedo go... he chocked all year long even though he came through at the end of games his shooting has been off all year. WIth the deal we made for Bass that will push Lewis to his normal spot of small forward to free up Howard and Bass to get more rebound. Something he missed dearly last year, besides Howard that is. Hedo wouldn't of been comfortable coming off the bench, same as Austin. Now we will have a solid line up with Howard at 5, Bass at 4, Lewis at 3, Carter at 2 , and my man Nelson (Mighty Mouse) leading the pack. True Lee wasn't a big time scorer, yet... but he will be. Mark my words. We should have traded Turk for Marion and Calderon giving up a strong back up at point but that's another story. I just hope Otis knows what he's doing... and I'm sure he does :) Magic fan 4 Life! Love the Knights... but hate the UCF drama.

    smartbeatz@msn is out...
    Peace (>-)

    Why do we still have Redick?

    ReplyDelete